tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dale Ogilvie" <Dale_Ogil...@trimble.com>
Subject RE: ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:08:55 GMT
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]

>Not quite. My point was the loading of the EL implementation is likely to be triggered
by user code. If the webapp class loader is the TCCL loader than classes from the web app
will be loaded before those from the >container. If the web app contains container classes
then it is possible that they get loaded from the webapp rather than from Tomcat.
>(Enabling the security manager enables additional class loading checks that would stop
this). Those classes from the webapp then have references held to them. They will work right
up unto the point Tomcat tries to >access the class outside of the webapp they were loaded
from.

>Mark

I'm still not quite sure what you are saying matches exactly what I'm seeing Mark. The webapp
classloader IS the TCCL loader. No problem at all that the app containing the  "container
classes" will load those in preference to the actual Tomcat ones. Ok.

However, what I see is this, in time order:

1. App2 (containing container classes) is deployed by TC at TC startup

2. App1 (not containing container classes) is deployed by TC at TC startup

3. A web request is made of App1 to load a JSP that uses EL

4. The vm ("-verbose:class") reports class LOAD from app2:

[Loaded javax.el.ExpressionFactory from file:/C:/apache-tomcat-7.0.27/lib/el-api.jar]
[Loaded org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspApplicationContextImpl from file:/C:/sandpit-28/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0/wtpwebapps/app2/WEB-INF/lib/jsp-2.1-6.1.14.jar]

5. Class cast exception occurs somewhat later

So, it appears to me that the class *loading* is occurring "from" app1 in step 4. I'm only
pushing this because it kind looks "buggy" to me.

Dale