tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dale Ogilvie" <Dale_Ogil...@trimble.com>
Subject RE: ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 03:57:16 GMT
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, 9 August 2012 8:22 p.m.
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to
org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl

>> Dale Ogilvie <Dale_Ogilvie@trimble.com> wrote:
>>
>> ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl
>>
>>That says to me that app1 already has an instance of
>>org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl which it is trying to cast to
>>the tomcat version.  So your statement that "Tomcat prevents a class
>>loaded in app2 from being visible in app1" seems to be false.

>Does that cast succeed? No. Why? Because the class isn't visible to app1.

Thanks again for your explanations here Mark. Apologies if you thought I was calling your
credentials into question. Nothing of any sort entered into my mind.

Trying not to be annoying, just to gain clarity. I'll rephrase your comment above for clarity
of what I believe you are saying.

"Does that cast of the org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl  instance succeed? No. Why?
Because the org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl class isn't visible to app1."

If app1 has an instance of org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl (provided by app2) whose
class it knows nothing about, shouldn't the exception be:

ClassNotFoundException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl

NOT

ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl

The latter error does not tell me that the class org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl isn't
visible to app1.

Dale