tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dale Ogilvie" <Dale_Ogil...@trimble.com>
Subject RE: ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 23:24:19 GMT
Daniel Mikusa [mailto:dmikusa@vmware.com] wrote:

>You would be using a shared class loader if you are placing JAR files used by multiple
deployed web applications into the
>$CATALINA_BASE/lib or $CATALINA_HOME/lib directory.  Are you placing any JAR files into
those folders?

We have placed three JDBC driver jars in $CATALINA_HOME/lib. I presume this is irrelevant
to this issue. The class in question org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl only appears
to be in a jar located in app2/WEB-INF/lib, yet it is being loaded for app1. I have verified
that the class is NOT in $CATALINA_HOME/lib. If we remove app2 from tomcat, the ClassCastException
disappears from app1. Further, removing the jar containing org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl
 from app2 also resolves the issue.

There does seem to be a problem that app2 is sharing classes with app1 from app2/WEB-INF/lib.
How can this happen?

>Maybe try adding the JVM option "-verbose:class" to "bin/setenv.sh".  This option will
cause the JVM to log when a class is loaded and from where it was loaded.

I'll look into that.

>Dan

Thanks.

Dale