tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 08:12:13 GMT
2012/8/3 Dale Ogilvie <Dale_Ogilvie@trimble.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing this problem below appearing now with one of our web-apps, google has not
helped me so far... There have been no changes with the web app in question, which was working,
so I'm picking something is going on with either the tomcat or OS (virtualized) environment,
but what? Any tips as to how to figure out what is going on?

> root cause
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast
to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl
>         org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.proprietaryEvaluate(PageContextImpl.java:982)
>         org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.views.promoCodeWelcome_jsp._jspx_meth_c_005fout_005f0(promoCodeWelcome_jsp.java:301)
>         org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.views.promoCodeWelcome_jsp._jspService(promoCodeWelcome_jsp.java:171)
>         org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:432)
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:390)
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:334)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
>         org.springframework.web.servlet.view.InternalResourceView.renderMergedOutputModel(InternalResourceView.java:238)
>         org.springframework.web.servlet.view.AbstractView.render(AbstractView.java:250)
>         org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.render(DispatcherServlet.java:1047)
>         org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:817)
>         org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:719)
>         org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:644)
>         org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:549)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
>         jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.doFilter(NtlmHttpFilter.java:125)
>
> The app is deployed on Tomcat 7.0.27, java 1.6_026, erroring jsp line:
>
> <c:out value="${fn:length(promoCodeSpecCommand.user)}" />

1. Stop the application,
 clear its work folder (${catalina.base}/work/${engine}/${host}/${webapp})
 - so that JSPs are recompiled,
 then start it again?

(That is if JSPs were occasionally compiled against different version
of Tomcat).

If you are precompiling your JSPs at build time - check that they are
compiled against the same version of Tomcat (7.0.27).

2. What libraries do you use in your application?
Check you have in WEB-INF/lib of the deployed application.

(That is if some libraries there conflict with same libraries provided
by Tomcat).

There is no such class as "org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl",
so whereever it comes from is the source of the problem.

You may search your jar files for the filename
"org/apache/jasper/runtime/ELContextImpl.class"

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko