tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardServer[8043]]
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:16:00 GMT
2012/8/17 Matt Quackenbush <quackfuzed@gmail.com>:

> OS:  XUbuntu 12.04, 64-bit
> Tomcat:  7.0.26.0  (private instance installation:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/tomcat.html)
> JVM: Sun 1.6.0_32-b05
>

> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
> SEVERE: Catalina.start:
> org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
> [StandardServer[8043]]
> (...)
> Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: A child container failed
> during start
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:1136)
>
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal(StandardEngine.java:302)
>
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
>         ... 11 more

Almost nothing can be said with the above message.  There should be
other messages elsewhere. (Either in the same log file, or in other
log files created by Tomcat).

There might be several reasons why a Host would fail to start, but the
above message just states the fact that the start failed. There should
be more info elsewhere.

> $ sudo netstat -lnp | grep :8043
>
> Running the above shows nothing else running on the port.
>
> I also blew away my tomcat folder (i.e. the private instance) and created a
> brand new one. (i.e. $ tomcat7-instance-create tomcat) However, the issue
> persists. I am at a loss as to what might be the problem.

The above is not from standard Tomcat distribution. What are those
"private instances" and what the above mentioned script does, I do not
know.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko