tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: Default encoding in tomcat 5.5.29
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:57:21 GMT
2012/8/9 Petr Hracek <>:
> Dear users,
> could you please advice me what is a default encoding in tomcat 5.5.29:
> I have found two links but I am not sure what is correct:
> -
> -
> Is the default encoding ISO8859-1 or UTF-8?

You have to define what you mean by the term "default encoding". There
are different terms in different contexts.

The I/O default encoding (the one that is used to write the log files,
etc.) is determined by your OS user configuration.

The servlet response default encoding is ISO-8859-1.
The information in the FAQ is correct, so follow the FAQ.

Regarding the random 8-years old discussion thread,

Jasper indeed uses UTF-8 to write java source files for JSP pages and
to call Java compiler on them (that is what javaEncoding option in
"jasper-howto.html" is about), but it is an internal detail that is
not visible from the outside.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail: