tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Fred Janon <fja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issue building the Unix daemon (jsvc) with the "configure" script in Tomcat7
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2012 09:59:16 GMT
It looks like that was it, some directories (logs, work...) were created
with the wrong user permissions during my previous attempts at running
daemon without sudo.

I deleted all the dirs and files created by ec2-user and ran "sudo
./daemon.sh start". Tomcat started without any errors and I can see the
home web page.

Now that it's running I wonder what do we get at running Tomcat as a
service on Linux, beside being able to access the privileged ports? Which I
don't, I use the iptables, maybe Tomcat would be faster using port 80
directly?

The only thing I would like to do now is to get the logs created with the
tomcat user AND tomcat *group*. At the moment the logs are RW to the tomcat
user only, not the group.

[ec2-user@ip-10-212-133-29 logs]$ ls -l
-rw------- 1 tomcat tomcat 2937 Aug 25 09:47 catalina.2012-08-25.log
-rw------- 1 root   root   3069 Aug 25 09:48 catalina-daemon.out
-rw------- 1 root   root      5 Aug 25 09:47 catalina-daemon.pid
-rw------- 1 tomcat tomcat    0 Aug 25 09:47 host-manager.2012-08-25.log
-rw------- 1 tomcat tomcat  445 Aug 25 09:47 localhost.2012-08-25.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 tomcat tomcat  743 Aug 25 09:49
localhost_access_log.2012-08-25.txt
-rw------- 1 tomcat tomcat    0 Aug 25 09:47 manager.2012-08-25.log

Thanks all for your help.

Fred

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Fred Janon <fjanon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> I realized that some of the directories were created with the ec2-user in
> some of my previous tries before running daemon.sh. I am deleting all these
> dirs/files and see if daemon.sh works now.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred
>

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Fred Janon <fjanon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the suggestions Martin, I'll give them a try in a couple of
>> hours, I've got to do something now.
>>
>> I tried the same daemon script at boot time from init.d and I get the
>> same issue, it runs under root. Does that mean that my setting for the
>> tomcat user for jsvc is not working? I assumed that jsvc would take that
>> identity to do everything, including creating the dirs and files.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  save yourself a ton of permission-errors grief
>>>
>>> login tomcat
>>> mkdir /datadisk1/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost
>>> BTW when you do a
>>> ls -al /datadisk1/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost
>>> you should have god rights rwd pretty much everything
>>>

>>> sudo is tricky because you'll need to add tomcat user to run the tomcat
>>> daemon(sh) to
>>>
>>> /etc/sudoers
>>>
>>> but then you'll only have permission to run daemon(.sh)
>>> access to temp, work and log folders have not been granted
>>>

>>> cd $CATALINA_BASE
>>> chown tomcat work
>>> chown tomcat logs
>>> chown tomcat temp
>>>
>>> Your clock is 6 hours ahead of me so you will receive this email very
>>> early am..i assume you're in CET
>>> I'll check back SAT roughly 8am CST
>>> Martin Gainty
>>> Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité
>>>
>>> Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene
>>> Empfaenger sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte
>>> Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Diese Nachricht
>>> dient lediglich dem Austausch von Informationen und entfaltet keine
>>> rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von
>>> E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.
>>>
>>> Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le
destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire informez l'expéditeur.
N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la copie de ceci est interdite. Ce message sert
à l'information seulement et n'aura pas n'importe quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant
donné que les email peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter
aucune responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

>>> "configure" script in Tomcat7

>>> /datadisk1/tomcat/webapps/examples
>>> [/examples]

>>> fluent in

>>> run as
>>> sudoers

>>> OpenJDK-dev to

>>> after
>>> tomcat
>>> reported in

>>> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
>>> Tomcat
>>> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
>>> Tomcat
>>> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
>>> Tomcat
>>> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
>>> Tomcat
>>> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
>>> Tomcat
>>> start
>>> <init>
>>> /datadisk1/tomcat/webapps/ROOT
>>> <init>
>>> /datadisk1/tomcat/webapps/docs
>>> [/docs]
>>> <init>
>>> <init>
>>> context
>>> <init>

>>> missing

>>> jeffmaury@jeffmaury.com

>>> flavor,
>>> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk

>>> compiler
JDK

>>> seems to

>>> jeffmaury@jeffmaury.com

>>> you've

>>> fjanon@gmail.com>

in AWS EC2
>>> Linux. I did
I downloaded
and ran Tomcat7
>>> daemon. I get
>>> solution to
understanding of

>>> need to

Cannot find
>>> jni_md.h in
Windows JDK,
>>> *but it's

says
>>> "*with-os-type*"

>>> issue,
>>> script...

>>> find the
If that's the
>>> case use
subdir points to
>>> the
>>> thru
send us the
>>> details of

no
yes
none needed
type... ok
Cannot find
>>> jni_md.h in

>>> /datadisk1/tomcat/bin/commons-daemon-1.0.10-native-src/windows/src/javajni.c
>>> > > > > > > >

>>> /datadisk1/tomcat/bin/commons-daemon-1.0.10-native-src/windows/include/javajni.h

no
yes
none needed
type... ok
>>> /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0/jre
Cannot find
>>> jni_md.h in

include
>>> directory"