tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Context variation problems -- localhost versus VPS
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 13:26:04 GMT
> From: Rainer Frey [mailto:rainer.frey@inxmail.de]
> Subject: Re: Context variation problems -- localhost versus VPS

> On 28.07.2012, at 00:01, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> > You *must* have a webapp named ROOT - no exceptions.

> Excuse me, but where's that requirement coming from?

To quote from the Tomcat doc for <Context>:

"In addition, a Context must be present with a context path equal to a zero-length string.
This Context becomes the default web application for this virtual host, and is used to process
all requests that do not match any other Context's context path."

Failure to provide a default webapp results in undefined behavior, with some versions of Tomcat
displaying only a blank page when a request cannot be mapped to any defined <Context>.

 - Chuck