tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: Login Delay
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 07:16:44 GMT
Am 31.08.2012 04:01, schrieb David A. Rush:
> We've got two different machines (both Windows Server something)
> running Tomcat 7.0.22, and each running a webapp that uses user
> authentication.  We're using a couple of different schemes (LDAP and
> database using JDBCRealm with hashed pwords, just database with
> hashed
> pwords).
>
> When no one has logged in for a while (90 minutes seems to do the
> trick), the next login takes almost exactly 40 seconds on one host
> and
> almost exactly 20 seconds on the other one.
You might want to check for a firewall between tomcat and your
database.
It could drop packets of a database session after a certain period of
inactivity.
JDBCRealm keeps its (one and only) connection open and closes it only
in case of
an exception (which might be a timeout).

You should really consider using DataSourceRealm
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/realm-howto.html#DataSourceRealm)
instead.
It will close connections (give it back to a pool) after usage and can
be
configured to check the connection before it is used for
authentication/authorization.

> Hitting a page in one of the webapps that hits the database for
> application data, without requiring login, works fast even if it's
> been idle for hours.  But then try to login and I get a 40 second
> delay after whacking the "Log in" button on the login form.  Looking
> at it in more detail, the host and app with a 40-second delay has two
> JDBCRealms configured, both inside of a combined realm.
You haven't told us, how you configured your application database
connections,
so we can only guess.

If you are using standard tomcat connection pooling, you can transfer
that
configuration to a pool, that can be used by the mentioned
DataSourceRealm.

Regards
  Felix