tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Windows Path Not Found for urandom
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:58:24 GMT

On 8/29/12 4:04 PM, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> This was on a test of what would happen if the C:\dev\urandom did
> exist on a Windows system, for some strange reason. It didn't seem
> to do anything operationally by being there and empty.

Right: if the file doesn't work out, Tomcat falls-back to (or whatever you have configured for
randomClass in your <Manager>).

> But it did find the source of the initial 6 PNFs being reported by
> the Process Monitor tool.

Did you mean FileNotFoundExceptions? I'm not sure what a PNF is.

> Why 6?  Beats me, I haven't studied the code.

How many webapps do you have deployed? You'll get a separate Manager
instance for each deployed webapp (and therefore an error for each one).

> My big question now is what's in my company's code that generates
> the PNF during login verification/error reporting. Leaning toward
> something to do with generating a new sessionid, but I've not had
> the chance to look (or get a programmer to check it).

If your random source "runs out" of data -- which is what happens when
the file is there but has zero bytes, you'll get a single error per
deployed webapp and then the manager(s) will switch-over to

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -