tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Issue starting catalina.sh on Windows for tomcat 7 version
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:28:23 GMT
irfan pasha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed tomcat 7.0.29 on windows7. I have download .tar.gz
> file from http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi.
>
> My bash and the console both are in same machine. I have installed MKS
> tool kit that enables me to run bash on Windows.
>
> Let me know if you need more information.

That is what I kind of suspected.
And, with respect, unless you have very specific needs to go along this route, I believe
that you are setting yourself up for a lot of complications.

Think that the executable program that will really be running on that machine is the Java

JVM.  Tomcat is just a Java application that will run inside this JVM.
So unless you have also installed a Linux-kind of Java JVM that runs also under the MKS
toolkit, you are probably on the wrong track.

Another way of saying this :
The Tomcat code is always the same, because it always runs inside the same environment : a

Java JVM.  But the Java JVM itself is very specific (and different) for each OS platform.

  And running Java (and a Java application) as a Unix daemon is quite different from
running Java (and a Java application) as a Windows Service.  And running Java under an MKS

environment is still different, and you would probably need an MKS-specific version of the

JVM to do that (if it exists).

What you should probably be doing is
- install a Java JVM for Windows
- download and install the Tomcat distribution for Windows (the "service installer" or the

  "normal Tomcat")
- use the Windows Service or the Windows command-line interface to run your Tomcat
and then, if you want, use your MKS environment to interact with Tomcat, as a client.