tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7.x and Internet Explorer Adobe Reader plugin
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:00:03 GMT
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Miguel,

On 8/22/12 4:26 PM, Miguel González Castaños wrote:
> On 22/08/2012 18:06, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
>> 
>> Miguel,
>> 
>> On 8/21/12 10:24 AM, Miguel Gonzalez wrote:
>>> Our webapp worked fine under Tomcat 5.5. We decided to migrate
>>> to Tomcat 7 to get better performance and get support from the 
>>> community in case something goes wrong as suggested in this
>>> mailing list.
>>> 
>>> I installed tomcat 7.0.29 from the Apache website. I had
>>> issues downloading PDFs from IE, but not from Firefox or
>>> Chrome.
>>> 
>>> I googled a little bit and some people suggested to downgrade
>>> to 7.0.26. But still having issues with it under IE while it
>>> works under Firefox and Chrome.
>>> 
>>> Any ideas?
>> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> 
>> Your question is "I had an app that was working and then I
>> upgraded and it doesn't work. What might be the problem?".
> Not exactly, I said problems downloading PDFs in IE. It reported
> an error when tried to download like it couldn't finish off the
> downloading (it takes forever).
>> 
>> Well, the problem might be that the power isn't connected to
>> your server. But you haven't provided any information that
>> suggests what "had issues downloading PDFs from IE" means. What
>> issues? What did you try? What happened when you did that? What
>> have you attempted to do so far to "fix" the "issue" and what
>> have you discovered?
> In the end downgrading to 7.0.26 has solved the issue. The person
> that reported that he had also issues with 7.0.26 and IE8
> recognized it might be his install since it happened just with a
> particular file, not all PDF files. I couldn't reproduced the issue
> with IE8

:(

Obviously reproducability is a key ingredient to proper analysis. If
you and he are willing to do some targeted testing, you could
instrument the client and see what the difference is -- likely in the
headers -- in the response coming from the server.

It might come down to a combination of Pragma, eTag, and other headers
coming from Tomcat (or an intermediate proxy). There have been reports
of weirdness with Adobe Acrobat Reader and "Range" headers recently:
it appears that the client is only partially spec-compliant because
the server is not required to return the exact range(s) the client
requested.

- -chris
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools - http://gpgtools.org
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAlA2YZMACgkQ9CaO5/Lv0PABBQCfYKYDydwXBKRa9Y/R/BJhIs0H
L+0AnjZeVD4nHgvTg1SlSh2dOK9c7xcO
=dip4
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


Mime
View raw message