tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7.0.29 vs. Groovy with Java 7
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:33:08 GMT
> 2012/8/16 Jess Holle <jessh@ptc.com>:
>> It appears that when one installs the groovy-all-2.0.1-indy.jar in a Tomcat
>> web app, BCEL chokes on the Java 7 specific byte-code therein ala
>>
>>     org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassFormatException: Invalid byte
>> tag in constant pool: 15
>>          at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.Constant.readConstant(Constant.java:131)
>>          at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ConstantPool.<init>(ConstantPool.java:60)
>>          at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassParser.readConstantPool(ClassParser.java:209)
>>          at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassParser.parse(ClassParser.java:119)
>>          at
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsStream(ContextConfig.java:2066)
>>
>> Is there an update planned to make org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel savvy to Java
>> 7 or replace it with ASM (which is fully Java 7 savvy)? [Please!]
> BCEL is now being developed at Apache Commons. If one contributes a
> patch there, I think it will make its way into Tomcat as well.
>
> I do not think that anyone would bother replacing the annotation
> scanning code with ASM one.
>
> http://commons.apache.org/bcel/
BCEL does not appear to be terribly actively maintained -- else it
wouldn't have had an issue with Java 7 byte code...

Until it is updated, Tomcat's annotation scanning will be broken for
/some /Java 7 byte code.  That's not really a tenable state long term.

ASM handles Java 7 byte code now.  That's the only reason I bring it up
(well, it's fast too...)

--
Jess Holle