tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ognjen Blagojevic <ognjen.d.blagoje...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: error while shutting down tomcat
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 08:53:50 GMT
Ijlal,

On 15.8.2012 0:32, Ijlal EL HAZITI wrote:
> I installed a wab application (sakai precisely) on a distant server
> remotely, but it doesn't start, and when I shutdown tomcat, I get that
> error:
>
> /opt/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
> 14 août 2012 13:55:44 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
> *GRAVE: Catalina.stop:
> java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused*
(...)
> tomcat instance starts fine.
>
> before deploying sakai, there were no errors while starting or shutting
> down tomcat.
>
>>From a search on google, I understood that it could be a firewall or port
> problem, so, I disabled the firewall, and all the ports that are mentionned
> in the conf/server.xml aren't used by other processes.

When Tomcat starts, it listens on TCP port 8005 (this is default, could
be changed in conf/server.xml) for SHUTDOWN command. When you call
shutdown script, you are actually sending SHUTDOWN command to TCP port
8005. If you get "Connection refused" it merely means that your shutdown
script is unable to open TCP connection to port 8005.

Although it is generally possible that firewall blocks TCP port 8005, it
is unlikely, since the shutdown script and Tomcat process listening on
port are usually at the same machine. In your case it is even more
unlikely, since you didn't have any problems with shutting down Tomcat
before you installed Sakai webapp.

My guess is that there is something very wrong with your Sakai
deployment, which caused Tomcat not to start properly, and therefore,
not to start listening on TCP port 8005. With the information you
provided, it is hard to say what is wrong. You should inspect logs in
order to get a clue. I hope you have access to logs folder on the remote
machine.

-Ognjen