tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:06:42 GMT
On 10/08/2012 04:57, Dale Ogilvie wrote:
> [...]
to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl

>>> Dale Ogilvie <Dale_Ogilvie@trimble.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to
org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl

>>> That says to me that app1 already has an instance of
>>> org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl which it is trying to cast to
>>> the tomcat version.  So your statement that "Tomcat prevents a class
>>> loaded in app2 from being visible in app1" seems to be false.
>
>> Does that cast succeed? No. Why? Because the class isn't visible to app1.
>
> Thanks again for your explanations here Mark. Apologies if you thought I was calling
your credentials into question. Nothing of any sort entered into my mind.

> Trying not to be annoying, just to gain clarity. I'll rephrase your comment above for
clarity of what I believe you are saying.

> "Does that cast of the org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl  instance succeed? No.
Why? Because the org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl class isn't visible to app1."

> If app1 has an instance of org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl (provided by app2)
whose class it knows nothing about, shouldn't the exception be:

> ClassNotFoundException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl
>
> NOT
>
> ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl
>
> The latter error does not tell me that the class org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl
isn't visible to app1.

It will depend exactly what is going on but since it is a cast that
fails, ClassCastException doesn't seem to be unreasonable. There may be
a root cause that provides more detail. The full exception should be in
the logs.

Mark