tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: ClassCastException org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl cannot be cast to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 07:05:05 GMT
On 07/08/2012 00:24, Dale Ogilvie wrote:
> Daniel Mikusa [mailto:dmikusa@vmware.com] wrote:
>
>> You would be using a shared class loader if you are placing JAR files used by multiple
deployed web applications into the
>> $CATALINA_BASE/lib or $CATALINA_HOME/lib directory.  Are you placing any JAR files
into those folders?

> We have placed three JDBC driver jars in $CATALINA_HOME/lib. I presume this is irrelevant
to this issue. The class in question org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl only appears
to be in a jar located in app2/WEB-INF/lib, yet it is being loaded for app1. I have verified
that the class is NOT in $CATALINA_HOME/lib. If we remove app2 from tomcat, the ClassCastException
disappears from app1. Further, removing the jar containing org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl
 from app2 also resolves the issue.

> There does seem to be a problem that app2 is sharing classes with app1 from app2/WEB-INF/lib.
How can this happen?

Tomcat blocks some JARs from being loaded from a webapp lib - the
Servlet APIs - maybe the Tomcat JARs should go on the list.
This might be construed as a bug, or at least an enhancement request.

>> Maybe try adding the JVM option "-verbose:class" to "bin/setenv.sh".  This option
will cause the JVM to log when a class is loaded and from where it was loaded.