tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: resource configuration for jndi mail
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 16:59:04 GMT
Ah, careful reading (not Sunday evening reading) is your friend. I
missed the above paragraph. The JNDI part I was clear on. What I missed
was the "Additional resource attributes and values will be converted to
properties" part. This appears in the Tomcat 7 documentation, but not
the Tomcat 6 documentation.

> You can find big lists of properties that can you set in the following
> locations:
>
> http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/javadocs/javax/mail/package-summary.html
> http://javamail.kenai.com/nonav/javadocs/com/sun/mail/smtp/package-summary.html
> http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/javadocs/javax/mail/internet/package-summary.html

There are a lot of properties available, but unfortunately there is no
password. However, the hint is there (in the paragraph that you quoted).

After trolling the source for Tomcat 6 (and a bit of searching on the
Internet), it appears that a password can be specified. The source in
question is:

org.apache.naming.factory.MailSessionFactory.java

The attribute is password (in the Resource definition). That looks like
the only additional (non JavaMail API) attribute / property that this
factory supports (hence the hint).

>> I suppose it's time to set up postfix.
>
> Not a terrible idea, though not strictly necessary.
>
> - -chris

I've never been fond of maintaining the same information in multiple
places, so postfix is probably good in this environment.

Sounds like I should submit a couple of patches to the documentation.

1. Add the paragraph from Tomcat 7 back into Tomcat 6
2. Add a paragraph to both stating that Tomcat's MailSessionFactory
    supports "password" as the only additional attribute / property.

Thanks, Chris.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/