tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Application name
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2012 21:54:56 GMT
> 2012/8/6 Marco de Booij <marco.developer@debooy.eu>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have tried to find the answer but I could not find a (to me) clear answer.
>>
>> I build my applications with Maven and as a result my war file is like
>> myapp-web-1.2.3.war. The static content is delivered by the Apache Web
>> Server so I use this server to access the application deployed in Tomcat
>> 7.0.27:
>> /    JkMount /myapp-web-0.1.0-SNAPSHOT     worker1
>>      JkMount /myapp-web-0.1.0-SNAPSHOT/* worker1
>>      JkMount /myappworker1
>>      JkMount /myapp///* worker1/
>>
>> I want to use the myapp since this will remain the same even if the version
>> changes.  In the war file I have a context.xml file in the META-INF at
>> 'root' level (not in the one in the classes directory) with the content:
>> /<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <Context path="/myapp//" />/
>
> The path attribute is invalid in a context.xml file.
>
> Read the "Context" chapter in the Configuration Reference in Tomcat
> 7.0 documentation.
>

>> The application works fine if I use
>> http://localhost/myapp-web-0.1.0-SNAPSHOT but when I use
>> http://localhost/myapp I only get the welcome page and when I try to get
>> another page then I get an error message:
>> /javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name [app/AppName] is not bound in this
>> Context. Unable to find [app]./
>>
>> In the manager application of Tomcat I see both names in the application
>> list.
>>
>> I was able to use this in Glassfish. There I could define a application name
>> in the console when I deployed the application. Is it also possible with
>> Tomcat or do I need to rename the war file to myapp.war before I deploy the
>> application?
>
> The recommended way is to rename the war.

Note, I've not tried this but from the documentation it should work.

1. Create another directory at the same level as webapps - call it apps
2. Copy your appname-1.2.3-SNAPSHOT.war there
3. Create an appname.xml file and place it in conf/Catalina/[hostname]

<Context docBase="${catalina.base}/apps/appname-1.2.3-SNAPSHOT.war"/>

(At least I think ${catalina.base} will be interpolated)

It is important to note that the war file (and docBase) CANNOT be inside
the enclosing host's appBase (as defined in server.xml). Thus, you
cannot point this inside of $CATALINA_BASE/webapps - the default
location of appBase.

See the following for more detail:

On second thought, just rename the war file.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/