tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Mayr <ste...@mayr-stefan.de>
Subject Re: Issue with sudo + init script
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 18:46:24 GMT
Am 01.08.2012 19:10, schrieb Shaw, Ray V CTR (US):
> I'm starting up Tomcat 7.0 on RHEL6 with the following init script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> # chkconfig: 235 80 20
>
> CATALINA_HOME="/opt/tomcat7"
> export JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/jdk6-64/"
>
> case "$1" in
>          'start')
>                  /bin/su tomcat -c "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh -security"
>                  ;;
>          'stop')
>                  /bin/su tomcat -c $CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh
>                  ;;
>          *)
>                  echo "usage: $0 {start|stop}"
>                  ;;
> esac
>
> If I use sudo -s (or -i) to get a root shell, I can use this script to start and stop
Tomcat.

> If I invoke this script directly via sudo, i.e. "sudo /sbin/service tomcat7 stop", stopping
Tomcat works.  Starting does not; Tomcat gives the usual output to the terminal, creates or
touches catalina.out (but writes nothing to it), and then instantly exits.  This is a problem,
because I need to allow the Web admin to start/stop Tomcat without giving them everything.

> Has anyone seen anything similar to this before?  /var/log/secure isn't showing anything
out of the ordinary (and obviously, the commands are being run).

Could you post your tomcat output when you try to start it? You should
also check differences in your environment variables when using
different methods.

- Stefan