tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Arun John (arujohn)" <aruj...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: Possible issue with Tomcat 7.0.27 SSL keystore configuration
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 18:03:23 GMT
Thanks Kolinko!!

Does anyone knows of such a smarter keystore implementation or a better way to accomplish
this.

It would be of great help if someone could help me here

Regards,
Arun

-----Original Message-----
From: Konstantin Kolinko [mailto:knst.kolinko@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 11:13 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Possible issue with Tomcat 7.0.27 SSL keystore configuration

2012/7/6 Arun John (arujohn) <arujohn@cisco.com>:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> I should have been a little more clear. That snip was copied when I had only one key
entry in my keystore and both the passwords were the same.

> Now coming to the actual issue. As long as there is only one key in
> the keystore, it works perfectly fine and I can provide different
> passwords for keystore and private key using keystorePass and keyPass
> options and it works flawlessly. But the issue seems to be happening
> when I have multiple key entries and that I store those key entries
> using different passwords. Then it throws the error
>
> For eg :
>
> I have a keystore named servercerts. The keystore password is "changed"
> In the keystore, I have 3 private keys (tomcatcert, adminuicert,
> wscert) The password for tomcatcert is "fortomcat"
> The password for adminuicert is "foradminui"
> The password for wscert is "forwebserver"
>
> Now I configured my server.xml to be
>          <Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
>  maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true" clientAuth="false"
>  sslProtocol="TLS"  keyAlias ="adminuicert" keyPass="foradminui"
>  keystoreFile="bin/servercerts" keystorePass="changed"/>
>
> Then when I start my tomcat, I run into this error. To be specific, with single key entry
in the keystore everything works fine. With multiple key entries and different passwords,
it throws the error.

> Am I missing something here. Can you confirm whether it works fine in the above scenario.
I use jdk1.6.0_32 to generate the keystore.

> Regards,
> Arun

Looking at the code where exception comes from, in JSSESocketFactory#getKeyManagers(...)
[[[
        KeyManagerFactory kmf = KeyManagerFactory.getInstance(algorithm);
        String keyPass = endpoint.getKeyPass();
        if (keyPass == null) {
            keyPass = keystorePass;
        }
        kmf.init(ks, keyPass.toCharArray());

        kms = kmf.getKeyManagers();
]]]

The "kmf.init(..)" call to Java API fails. At this point the key alias has not come into play
yet.

Looking at implementation of the Java APIs mentioned in your stacktrace, I should say that
this is limitation of those.  This Sun implementation of KeyManagerFactory iterates over all
keys of keystore, creating a Key for each and initializing some internal hashtable.  As you
encountered, it fails fatally if any of the keys is not readable with the provided password.

The call to kmf.init(..) cannot be avoided, as the key manager factory is unusable without
it.

Maybe it is possible to find more clever implementation of KeyManagerFactory somewhere that
does not read the keys that it does not need. Or a different implementation of KeyStore, that
serves as a proxy and hides unneeded keys in KeyStore#aliases() enumeration.

Anyway, the easiest workaround at this point is to use 3 different keystores each containing
a single key. The path to keystore is configurable, as you may note.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko