tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j to write Tomcat logs to Windows Event Log
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2012 09:40:56 GMT
2012/7/7 Dunbar, Kevin D CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 56250
<kevin.dunbar@navy.mil>:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use log4j.jar to do the logging in Tomcat 7.0.27 (on Windows XP) instead
of java.util.logging so that I can append the logs to be output to the Windows Event Log.

for all Tomcat's internal logging.  (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html)

> I created a log4j.properties file and put it in $CATALINA_BASE/lib
> I put log4j-1.2.15.jar that I downloaded into $CATALINA_HOME/lib
> I put tomcat-juli-adapters.jar that I downloaded into $CATALINA_HOME/lib
> I replaced tomcat-juli.jar from $CATALINA_HOME with the tomcat-juli.jar that I downloaded
from Tomcat "extras"

> It seems that after I replaced the tomcat-juli.jar, I would get the following error in
tomcat7-stderr.log

> 2012-07-06 14:03:56 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized
> log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina).

Your log4j.properties is wrong?
It looks like it does not specify where the messages from
"org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina" log category should be written.

> I also deleted the logging.properties from $CATALINA_BASE/conf

One should not delete the file itself, but only its contents, leaving
an empty file.

> Can anyone please tell me why this warning is occurring when I replace tomcat-juli.jar?
 Any help is greatly appreciated.