tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:49:57 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container

> Considering the number of times this has come up on the list, I do not
> understand why the people who make the Service installer don't just add
> the missing files in (tomcat)/bin and bring this matter to rest once and
> for all.

> Of course, then we'd still have to explain that the Service, once installed,
> does not use the .bat files when running as a service.

Possibly exactly because of that - the service users will be wondering why their highly inappropriate
muckings about with startup.bat and catalina.bat aren't effective.  I think it would be better
if the links on the download page looked something like this:

    zip (pgp, md5) - runs only via scripts on Windows
    tar.gz (pgp, md5)
    32-bit Windows zip (pgp, md5) - runs via scripts or as a service
    64-bit Windows zip (pgp, md5) - runs via scripts or as a service
    32-bit/64-bit Windows Service Installer (pgp, md5) - runs only as a service

 - Chuck