tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dunbar, Kevin D CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 56250" <kevin.dun...@navy.mil>
Subject log4j to write Tomcat logs to Windows Event Log
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 23:08:10 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to use log4j.jar to do the logging in Tomcat 7.0.27 (on Windows XP) instead of
java.util.logging so that I can append the logs to be output to the Windows Event Log.

I followed the instructions to configure Tomcat to use log4j rather than java.util.logging
for all Tomcat's internal logging.  (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html)

I created a log4j.properties file and put it in $CATALINA_BASE/lib
I put log4j-1.2.15.jar that I downloaded into $CATALINA_HOME/lib
I put tomcat-juli-adapters.jar that I downloaded into $CATALINA_HOME/lib
I replaced tomcat-juli.jar from $CATALINA_HOME with the tomcat-juli.jar that I downloaded
from Tomcat "extras"

It seems that after I replaced the tomcat-juli.jar, I would get the following error in tomcat7-stderr.log

2012-07-06 14:03:56 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina).

I also deleted the logging.properties from $CATALINA_BASE/conf

Can anyone please tell me why this warning is occurring when I replace tomcat-juli.jar?  Any
help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin Dunbar
Code 56250
SPAWAR Systems Center Pacific