tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Janner <Jeffrey.Jan...@PolyDyne.com>
Subject Poller & CometPoller general questions
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:53:14 GMT
I'm more curious here than there being a problem.
Are the Poller & CometPoller threads necessary for Tomcat operation?  If not, how to turn
them off, and do I want to turn them off.
Here's my scenario:
Tomcat 6.0.33 with APR on Windows Server 2008 (regular and R2).
Fairly normal server.xml, with generic <connector> implementation, i.e., not explicitly
specifying the protocol:
  <!--APR library loader. Documentation at /docs/apr.html -->
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" SSLEngine="on" />
    <Connector address="172.16.1.1" port="80" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
               maxThreads="10" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="443" acceptCount="100"
               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />
    <Connector address="172.16.1.1" port="443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
               maxThreads="100" enableLookups="false" acceptCount="100"
               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
               scheme="https" secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
               SSLCertificateFile="path to server.crt"
               SSLCertificateKeyFile=" path to server.key"
               SSLCertificateChainFile=" path to _chain.crt"
               SSLPassword="password" />
Web.xml is set up to force everything to HTTPS:
    <user-data-constraint>
    </user-data-constraint>

So Tomcat starts up and creates, in my case, 32 poller threads, 8 poller and 8 cometpoller
for each connector.
Now, I know these just sit around waiting on AprEndpoint$Poller, basically doing nothing and
really causing no harm, other than taking up some threads out of my available threadpool.
I pretty sure we don't use Comet, so I'd like to turn those off, but it's not clear in the
documentation that I can, only looks like there are controls for the NIO connector.
What, if anything, would the standard Poller threads be used for?
Since everything gets forwarded to HTTPS, the HTTP poller threads seam exceptionally useless.

Jeffrey Janner
Sr. Network Administrator
jeffrey.janner@polydyne.com<mailto:first.last@polydyne.com>
PolyDyne Software Inc.
Main:   512.343.9100
Direct:  512.583.8930

 [cid:image002.png@01CC0FB7.4FF43CE0]

Speed, Intelligence & Savings in Sourcing

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender or
telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.