tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Problems upgrading to Tomcat 7
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 08:10:21 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Alejandro,
>
> On 7/30/12 5:48 PM, Alejandro Mehring wrote:
>> I'm migrating to Tomcat 7 a web system that used to run on Tomcat
>> 4...
>
> Been there (though I went through 5.5 and 6.0 to get there in a
> relatively short amount of time).
>
>> So far, I've been able to sort out all of the issues I've faced,
>> but I'm stuck at one point. When a page loads in Tomcat 4, it goes
>> and fetches the stylesheet from the server with a link of the form
>>
>> <link type="text/css" href="../lightStyle.css" rel="stylesheet">
>
> Although this should work, I always recommend using context-relative
> URLs like this:
>
> <link type="text/css" href="<%=
> response.encodeURL(request.getContextPath() + "/lightStyle.css") %>" />
>
> This will ensure that your URLs resolve properly no matter how the
> .jsp is being evaluated (for instance, in an include or after a
> forward, where the client's URL may not match what your JSP expects).
>
>> But on Tomcat 7, the parent directory indirection is removed, and I
>> can't seem to find the way to prevent this from happening!
>
> That doesn't seem right.
>
>> What confuses me more, is that when Tomcat generates the *_jsp.java
>> files, both 4 and 7 versions generate a line of code like this
>> one:
>>
>> out.write("<link rel=\"stylesheet\" href=\"../lightStyle.css\"
>> type=\"text/css\">\r\n\r\n");
>>
>> So i can't figure out why the rendering process is removing the
>> '../' bit of the link!
>
> I have a hard time believing that Tomcat is modifying anything: in the
> case above, Tomcat does not interpret anything at all. As far as
> Tomcat is concerned, the above is just a string of characters like
> "Hello, World" and has no URL context or anything like that.
>
> Are you sure this isn't being included by another JSP or forwarded
> from another URL?
>
>> Has anyone faced this problem before? I haven't found any parent
>> directory restriction configuration or something that would point
>> me in that direction.
>
> What does the output of the JSP look like? That is, what is the actual
> content of the page as seen by the client?

+1

And, what does that request for the stylesheet actually look like, when it is sent by the

client (the browser) to the server ?
You can find that out by using one of the browser plugins like Fiddler2 (for IE), HttpFox

(for Firefox) or similar.
The point is : this "href" is interpreted *by the client* and converted to a full HTTP
request URL (with hostname, path and all), before being sent to the server.
The server always receives an absolute URL, starting at the root.