tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat7 deployment url change - please maintain backwards compatibility
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 16:32:12 GMT
Tim Pizey wrote:

> I only joined this list this morning, and am appalled by the lack of
> constructive responses.

Tim,
this is probably a wrong initial impression, due to the way in which you phrased your
initial message to the list, which sounded quite aggressive and condescending even to me
who is not a Tomcat developer.

This list is generally very helpful and polite, even to real Tomcat beginners. Consulting

the list archives would demonstrate this.

But the phrase

"Please maintain backwards compatibility by supplying a default of html
to the the manager url, you will save a lot of people a lot of pointless work."

undoubtedly rubbed a few people here the wrong way, considering that Tomcat is open-source

and free software, made mostly by volunteers on their own time.
It rubbed them all the more the wrong way since they also take the time to write extensive

documentation and put it on-line, and you did not seem to have even read it before posting

the above phrase.

Now you have a choice : you either continue with the same tone, and it will be a
frustrating experience for everyone (but first of all for you, because you would end up
just being ignored), or we "reset" the relationship and you might get answers and/or
helpful comments. Of which by the way you already did get some, despite your unnecessarily

aggressive tone.