tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How Tomcat works?????????
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:51:46 GMT
Puneet Dewan wrote:
> I apologise to the community on asking the question in the wrong way.

Ok, apologies accepted.  And our own apologies for having a bit of fun.

Now, what do you really want to know, that is not already in the online Tomcat
documentation ? (available here : http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/index.html)

Tomcat is a Java application, which runs under a Java virtual machine (JVM).
It is a Servlet Container, which means that it provides an environment to run Java
servlets (and JSP pages), as described in the Java Servlet Specification, which you can
download here : http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr315/index.html
It is suggested that you browse this document first, to provide you with an overview of
what Tomcat is supposed to do.
Tomcat is also a generic webserver (or HTTP server), capable of serving static html pages

and other resources (like images etc..).

Then, if your next question would be a bit more focused, it would help you get answers.