tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:23:20 GMT
Pid wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 22:26, Wei, Mingzhen wrote:
>> Konstantin,
>>
>> I followed the RUNNING.TXT after installing the binary release of Tomcat 5.5. But
I cannot find the catalina.bat and catalina.sh for more environmental variables to set.

>> Why tomcat is such a pain for installation?
>
> It's not.  You're making it harder.
>
> Seriously, just download the actual binaries:
>
>  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi
>  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi
>  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi
>
> Those are for Tomcat 7.0, 6.0 and 5.5.

My quarter :
Yes, but I believe that the OP's confusion is due (again) to the fact that for Windows,
there are two possibilities (the zip and the Service installer), and that the Service
installer version does not contain all the same files as the zip version.

Considering the number of times this has come up on the list, I do not understand why the

people who make the Service installer don't just add the missing files in (tomcat)/bin and

bring this matter to rest once and for all.

Of course, then we'd still have to explain that the Service, once installed, does not use

the .bat files when running as a service.