tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: General Architecture Question for multiple websites on a single RedHat server
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:19:08 GMT

On 7/9/12 4:24 PM, Simon, Leonard wrote:
> Well our Tomcat went out to lunch again and we had to recycle the
> webserver to get things stablized. By this I mean we get reports
> from the users that screens become unresponsive and looking at a
> top we see tomcat process taking 100% CPU.

Are you sure this is the right process?

> Was able to do a thread dump captured with a kill -3 PID and here
> it is if anyone is so inclined to comment on it.

This thread dump shows a mostly-idle server with the exception of
those threads in socketAccept() (not sure why these count as RUNNABLE
when they are really blocking) and those executing reads from the
client connection(s).

What exact version of Tomcat are you using, and what version of mod_jk
(or, if you are using mox_proxy_ajp, what httpd version)? IIRC, there
have been some stability improvements in recent Tomcat versions around
the worker threads being returned to their associated connectors.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -