tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <oh...@cox.net>
Subject NullPointerException/java.util.logging.ErrorManager: 5 when have <load-on-startup>
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Hi,

I have a simple servlet deployed to Tomcat 6.0.35, and when I enable <load-on-startup>
in the web.xml, so that the servlet's init() method gets run when Tomcat starts up, I get:

.
.
In LoginServlet.init: Returned from calling CreateDefaultInstance...
In LoginServlet.init: FINISHED initializing!!
Jul 7, 2012 8:21:31 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory showhdrs
Jul 7, 2012 8:21:31 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory docs
Jul 7, 2012 8:21:31 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory ROOT
Jul 7, 2012 8:21:31 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory examples

java.util.logging.ErrorManager: 5
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.ListResourceBundle.handleGetObject(ListResourceBundle.java:109)
        at java.util.ResourceBundle.getObject(ResourceBundle.java:368)
        at java.util.ResourceBundle.getString(ResourceBundle.java:334)
        at java.util.logging.Formatter.formatMessage(Formatter.java:108)
        at java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter.format(SimpleFormatter.java:63)
        at org.apache.juli.FileHandler.publish(FileHandler.java:198)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:478)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.doLog(Logger.java:501)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:524)
.
.

i.e., It appears that my servlet's init() method completes successfully, but then later in
the startup, Tomcat throws this exception (actually twice).

If I remove the <load-on-startup> from the servlet's web.xml, Tomcat starts fine, and
processing in my servlet works ok (the init() method runs on first request, and service()
method processes requests ok).

I think that that "5" indicates a format error in the (Tomcat) logging, but I'm not currently
using/invoking any logger in my servlet.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing the error, and how I can eliminate the problem?

Thanks,
Jim