tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Vijaya" <svij...@solutionscraft.com>
Subject Re: Solved - Connecting Tmcat and IIS
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 05:49:20 GMT
Andre Warnier, thanks very much pointing the shortfall in my message.

I myself have been using isapi_redirector for more than 3 years without any
problem and suddenly for unexplainable reasons (I am sure it was not the
isapi_redirector problem but some other problem in our server that was
driving me crazy) from my server end, I could not make the isapi_redirector
work in our server and this new software helped me solve the problem.

In my opinion both the connectors are fairly straight forward to install and
only wish more support will be available in both of these tools.

Regards,
Vijaya

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:59 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Solved - Connecting Tmcat and IIS

Vijaya wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>

> I want to post this message so that if you are struggling with
> isapi_redirector to connect Tomcat and IIS. From one of the posts in
> forums.iis.net, I came to know about a new redirector for IIS7
> http://tomcatiis.riaforge.org. after wasting around a month to make the
> isapi redirector failed in my server.  This new redirector installation
> has
> an automatic installation that will make necessary changes automatically.
> No
> need to change the registry, properties file and add virtual directories.
> This one worked very well for me.

Vijaya,

it is always nice to hear about alternative open-source methods to fill
particular
requirements, and from their homepage at least, this new connector looks
really nice.
So thank you for the information, and hopefully this will result in more
people trying it
out and reporting about it.

This being said, a note : in your message above, you seem to imply that
isapi_redirector
(the Windows version of mod_jk), which is a project under the Tomcat
umbrella and which is
supported on this list, is difficult to install and configure etc. and that
this other
software is much better and easier.
Not to take anything away from the "Boncode AJP connector" (as it is named
on the
webpage), but for a balanced interpretation of the above I would advise any
readers to
first scan the list archives, for the thread entitled "iis not looking for
jsp in tomcat
webapps folder" for the full story.

The isapi_redirector/mod_jk connector has been around for many years, has
been installed
and configured and is being used succesfully by many thousands of people on
production
websites worldwide, in a very wide range of configurations and
circumstances.
It is also well-supported and kept very closely in sync with changes in
Tomcat.
And, the configuration and usage of mod_jk and isapi_redirector being
practically the
same, it is in effect multi-platform, running under Windows as well as under
Linux and
multiple Unix variations.
In contrast, the Boncode AJP connector is one year old, and is
single-platform(Windows).
This is not at all to say that this new connector is not an excellent piece
of software (I
don't know, I have not tried it yet), but the fact that for Vijaya it was
much easier to
deal with is not necessarily a general circumstance, yet.