tomcat-users mailing list archives

From k9...@operamail.com
Subject Re: Tomcat 7.0.27 listens only @IPv6 localhost, ignores 'use IPv4' JAVA_OPTS in tomcat.conf. How to correctly force IPv4?
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2012 20:17:54 GMT
Hi,

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012, at 03:57 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
> But doing so would close the door on ::1, turning "prefer" into
> "require".  Whereas binding on ::* allows both IPv6 & 4 in.  I guess
> what's confusing in all this is that the "preferences" just deal with
> "outbound" addresses and connections (e.g. preferIPv4Stack means the JVM
> will send out IPv4 packets etc.).
>
> It's worth noting that, even if it did behave this way, you would still
> have needed to specify the loopback address.  Otherwise Tomcat would
> have been accessible on any IPv4 address configured on the node.  Just
> setting those properties would never have been sufficient for what you
> were really after.

I've read a bunch trying to get this straight.  Lots of noise, and I was
still off track on the outbound vs inbound behavior.

"@ bug" insist that the behavior as is - which has managed to confuse
quite a few others as well, resulting in numerous suggestions to 'file a
bug' - is simply "a config problem" on my end,   It seems they're happy
with that, and that this is expected/clear behavior.  To each their own

Thanks for being patient and taking the time to clarify.  Again, noted &
appreciated!