tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: General Architecture Question for multiple websites on a single RedHat server
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:34:39 GMT
----- Original Message -----

1. Don't use the distribution package - download from tomcat.apache.org
2. Use CATALINA_HOME / CATALINA_BASE - see RUNNING.txt for pointers
3. Create an unprivileged user for running the Tomcats
4. Create a template server init script for starting and stopping (version, status, etc) Tomcat
5. Copy the template init script to each named service (tomcat1, tomcat2, tomcat3, etc.)
6. Optionally place service-specific parameters in an /etc/sysconfig subdirectory
7. Add the services with chkconfig
8. Start and stop each service separately

Don't forget to change the relevant ports in each server.xml file. An ant script with the
xmltask add-on is quite handy for doing this. You can then write a properties file with configuration
specifics for each CATALINA_BASE, run the ant tasks to create the CATALINA_BASE, service support
files, etc., and then install. The properties files then become a nice base document for all
of the Tomcat servers that you've installed.

Alternatively, if all of your web sites have similar uptime / control / access requirements,
you can run all 5 sites using a combination of named virtual hosts on Apache HTTPD and virtual
hosts on Tomcat.

Or a combination of the above . . . It all depends on your requirements.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/