tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Java process killed by oom-killer in Ubuntu
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:40:30 GMT
> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
> Subject: Re: Java process killed by oom-killer in Ubuntu

> On 6/11/2012 2:30 PM, Jorge Medina wrote:
> > The machine has 16 GB of memory with no swap space.
> > The JVM was being started with -Xms and -Xmx equal to 6 GB, so I think
> > 10GB extra would be enough for anything else.

> Does Xms/Xmx memory need to be contiguous?  If so, maybe it just can't
> find a big-enough chunk?

It needs to be contiguous in the virtual space of the process, not in RAM.  The Xmx size of
heap virtual space is allocated during JVM initialization, so if it gets past initialization,
it's not a problem.  The OOM killer only gets in the game when the real memory requirements
of all processes combined exceed the amount of RAM plus swapfile.  Again, it sure looks like
-Xmx=6G is too large for the system, when combined with everything else going on in that process
and the rest of the system.

 - Chuck