tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Miguel González Castaños <>
Subject heap memory issues
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2012 10:49:07 GMT
Dear all,

    We have a webapp under Tomcat 5.5 and jdk 1.5 32 bits under a
virtual machine of 4 Gb and a 64 bits OS.

    Some of you have helped me suggesting me to install Javamelody and
sar to monitor the system. Setting up heap dumps I have managed to see
what was going on with the eclipse memory analyzer.

    The webapp sends emails that have been previously entered into the
database. It loads the emails into memory, so if you are sending 10k
emails, it loads 10k objects containing those emails. That makes the app
to use around 200-300 mb of the heap memory.

   The settings we have now for the JDK are:

-XX:HeapDumpPath=/opt/tomcat5/logs/ -Xms128m -Xmx512m -verbose:gc
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDetails"

   Facts that I have witnessed:

   If I try to increase the Xmx to 740m or 1024m the GC starts working
very much and Tomcat shuts down.

   I have also tried downloading a 64 bits 1.7 jdk but I get the typical:

   Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Exception
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError occurred dispatching signal SIGTERM to
handler- the VM may need to be forcibly terminated

   It doesn't matter if i set the maxperm memory to 512m or I increase
the Xms and Xmx beyond 1024m, it breaks after 5-10 minutes without doing

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message