tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: [POLL] Finer-grained "manager" user-access privileges?
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:59:07 GMT

On 6/8/12 5:11 PM, André Warnier wrote:
> The scenario is : - I do not have remote access to the Tomcat host
> - there is no local sysadmin - these Users work in different
> departments, they do not communicate with eachother, they are not
> sysadmins, but each of them is the "person of contact" to whom I
> would for example send an updated .war file of the application(s)
> for which they are responsible, and ask them to deploy it. But even
> if I would send one of them the wrong .war file (or a curious user
> would just try to rename a .war file), they should not be able to
> re-deploy any other than the application(s) for which they are
> responsible.

That's a taller order than what I was proposing, which I believe can
be achieved through additional configuration only. Your use case would
definitely require a more nuanced and capable permissions system,
while my use case merely requires that we use the existing permissions
system (i.e. role-based security-constraints in web.xml).

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -