tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 : Warnings at startup
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:15:09 GMT
Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2012/6/10 André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com>:
>> Hi.
>>
>> This is on a Linux Debian system, Tomcat 6 installed from a Debian package.
>> /usr/share/tomcat6/bin/version.sh shows this :
>>
>> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat6
>> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat6
>> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat6/temp
>> Using JRE_HOME:        /usr
>> Using CLASSPATH:       /usr/share/tomcat6/bin/bootstrap.jar
>> Server version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.35
>> Server built:   Jan 31 2012 04:27:38
>> Server number:  6.0.35.0
>> OS Name:        Linux
>> OS Version:     3.2.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae
>> Architecture:   i386
>> JVM Version:    1.6.0_26-b03
>> JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.
>> root@colin:/usr/share/tomcat6/bin#
>
> Root? You must never run Tomcat as root.

Let the sysadmin who has never run anything as root throw me the first stone.. ;-)

But I am not running Tomcat as root, I just printed the above as root.
Tomcat 6 is running as user "tomcat6", as per :

tomcat6   6438     1  0 10:31 ?        00:00:07 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/lib/tomcat6/conf/logging.properties
-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx128m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat6/endorsed -classpath
/usr/share/tomcat6/bin/bootstrap.jar -Dcatalina.base=/var/lib/tomcat6
-Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat6 -Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp/tomcat6-tomcat6-tmp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
root@colin:/usr/share/tomcat6/bin#

but I cannot login as that user on a console (shell=/bin/false).

>> This Tomcat has been running fine for several months (ever since the system
>> was installed), but today I had to restart the system and Tomcat, and I
>> noticed this in the logs :
>>
>> In /var/log/tomcat6/catalina.out, at Tomcat startup, there are these lines :
>>
>> Jun 10, 2012 10:31:33 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory
>> validateFile
>> WARNING: Problem with directory [/usr/share/tomcat6/server/classes], exists:
>> [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
>> Jun 10, 2012 10:31:34 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory
>> validateFile
>> WARNING: Problem with directory [/usr/share/tomcat6/server], exists:
>> [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
>
> Those look very much like directories that Tomcat 5.5 uses. I would
> guess that your CATALINA_BASE is wrong. That is as if you tried to
> start Tomcat 6 with Tomcat 5.5 configuration files.

Well, not as far as I can tell. This host (a VM) was set up several months ago, directly
with Tomcat 6.  Tomcat 5.5 was never even installed on it.
I also cannot find any reference to Tomcat 5.5 anywhere in the configuration files.
Everything mentions Tomcat 6.
CATALINA_BASE = CATALINA_HOME = /usr/share/tomcat6, as per above version.sh output.

I know that these packages tend to put things all over the place, but in this case I
cannot see how there could be Tomcat 5.5 leftovers.

I also ran some "grep -R tomcat5" on /etc, /var, /usr, etc..
The only thing remotely suspicious is this :

Binary file lib/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so matches

but that may just be a comment somewhere in that file.

So, what does that "org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory validateFile" really
do, that it does not seem happy ?