tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Can someone suggest mail some opensource mail server which works well with Tomcat.
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:31:29 GMT
On 6/9/2012 2:35 PM, Kiran Badi wrote:

> Any feedback on apache james ?
>
>> I've never used it, so I can't comment. What I would ask is: why are
>> you are specifically looking for a Java-based mail server?
>>
> I was looking for open source server ,capable for serving atleast 5k
> mails daily to begin with.Since I am using java api, I am under
> impression that java based mail servers will have support for java api's.
>
> - Kiran

E-mail functions (POP3, SMTP) are based on RFCs and are programming
language-agnostic.  You can use any mail server with your javamail
program as long as they both comply with the applicable standards.  Of
course, with an open-source java e-mail server, you would have the
option of building the server directly into your application, with a
possible performance gain.  However, 5k messages per day is not enough
that performance is going to be an issue anyway.