tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Miguel González Castaños <miguel_3_gonza...@yahoo.es>
Subject Re: isHexDigit error problems and upgrading Tomcat and jdk
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 08:13:26 GMT
On 07/06/2012 00:54, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2012/6/7 Miguel González Castaños<miguel_3_gonzalez@yahoo.es>:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   We are getting isHexDigit errors again, although there is no malformed URL
>> requests
> It is parameter parsing code. It cannot claim the request as malformed
> (API does not allow it). It can only skip malformed parameters.
Does that mean that it won't show up in the access log? It is a problem
with a parameter used by the parsing code? How can I log any info that
could show where is the problem in the code or when is this happening?
It's making Tomcat to pause and then to stop.

> It sets some error flag that can be examined. FailedRequestFilter is
> example of a filter that checks that flag.
I understand that function has to be added in the parsing code, isn't it?

>>   We are using Tomcat 5.5 and jdk 1.5 (from Sun). As some of you have
>> suggested me in the past, I'm considering to upgrade to a more up-to-date
>> Tomcat and/or jdk so I can get more support and help from the community
>> since probably the stability issues are solved in newer versions. I have set
>> up a test environment and Tomcat 7.0.27 and jdk 1.7 seems to work fine.
>>
>>   Do you suggest me to upgrade to Tomcat 6 or 7? What about jdk? 1.6 or 1.7?
> 1.6 is more widely tested (many years), but for a new system I would
> go with 1.7.
It's not a new system, it's been running for 3 years already. I don't
want to risk that any library has changed its behavior with tomcat 7 or
something similar.

> I heard that Oracle plans to stop provide free updates for 1.6 this
> summer. So they will be available only as "Java for Business".
Does it mean that it is probably better to go for 1.7 instead?

Miguel