tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Where do I store Images in tomcat structure so that I can retrive it properly in all browsers
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 14:11:33 GMT

On 6/5/12 1:31 AM, Kiran Badi wrote:
> After playing around for a day,
> this is another solutions which worked for me,
> <Context aliases="/UploadedImages=c:/UploadedImages"></Context>
> with Tomcat 7.0.11 in context.xml

Good, except that you should really upgrade to the latest Tomcat 7.0
version. Plenty of security fixed have been shipped since 7.0.11.

> I think now I understand as how aliases work, /UploadedImages is
> the aliaspath and c:/UploadedImages is the docbase to which it
> refers.
> Is this understanding correct ?

/UploadedImages is the URL where resources in C:\UploadedImages can be
requested. The term "docbase" doesn't really apply as it has a number
of connotations that aren't appropriate here.

> In manager app I see something called /files , not sure as what is
> this ?

That is likely to be another webapp, but I have no idea where in the
manager app you are looking, so I can't really comment.

Remember that Tomcat will (by default) auto-deploy any directory in
the CATALINA_BASE/webapps directory -- even those that you don't
consider to be a legitimate webapp. So, if you have a directory called
"files" in there, then Tomcat will deploy that into "/files" and
possibly expose some resources that you hadn't intended to be
available via HTTP.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -