tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: looking for help with getting tomcat 7 to authenticate aginst windows domain controller from aix 6.1 and 5.3
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 23:09:11 GMT
Mead, Jen L wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am brand new to tomcat 7 and am hoping to get realms set-up for users to use my CGI
scripts

you are aware that to run CGI scripts, tomcat may not be the best choice ?
What is the programming language of your CGI scripts ?

using their windows password.  So far I have put a request into the windows group to
create a user for this verification.

Well, if your workstations are running Windows in a Windows domain, then you should not
need a special user for that, it should work with yours (or whomever is logged-in).  The
point is to have the server authenticate the logged-in user automatically and
transparently, no ?

   I followed the example in the tomcat manual as follows:

Which Tomcat manual ?
If you are talking about this :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-auth-howto.html
then it seems to me that this mechanism implies that your Tomcat server is a Windows host.

  Did you not mention AIX ?

>  *   Create a domain user that will be mapped to the service name used by the Tomcat
server. In this how-to, this user is called tc01 and has a password of tc01pass.
>  *   Map the service principal name (SPN) to the user account. SPNs take the form <service
To map the user to the SPN, run the following:

If you determine that you do need Tomcat for this, and you are not under Windows, then I
suggest that you have a look at Jespa, at http://www.ioplex.com.
It is not either open-source nor free, but it works (on any Java platform) and it is
really not expensive. (I have no commercial interest in it, I just use it).