tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: ROOT.xml problem
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2012 11:30:33 GMT
Kevin Marx wrote:
> OK, so now, how is this working?  How to fix it?
>
> ROOT.xml is located in conf/Catalina/localhost
>
> File contents are thus:
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
> <Context
> 	docBase="C:\Corda\CenterView4\Server\corda\"
> 	reloadable="true"
> />
>
> in the browser I am entering http://localhost:8080
>
> the URL is comes up with is thus:
>
> http://localhost:8080/dashboards/welcome/main.dashxml

What do you mean by "it comes up with" ? who ? where ? how ? what ?

> However it should be:
>
> http://localhost:8080/corda/dashboards/welcome/main.dashxml
>
> This URL will work when entered.  The /corda is necessary

why ? if that application was correctly designed, it shouldn't be.
It means that somewhere in that application, there is a harcoded "/corda/" prefix
pre-pended to URLs.

> Why is the /corda missing from the URL?  What needs to be in the ROOT.xml file to make
it show up?

We don't know what that application is doing inside.
All we can tell you here, is that if the application used only relative URLs (which is the

cleanest design), then it shouldn't matter if it was moved around here or there.

I believe that you are looking at this the wrong way.  You seem to expect the container to

be able to override everything that the application specifies.  It cannot; or maybe it
can, but it is likely to be hard work, re-rewriting URLs all over.

The application seems to work fine when it is installed in "../webapps/corda/", and
accessed with URLs starting with "/corda". Fine.

Now /you/ would like it instead to be the default application, and to be able to drop that

"/corda" prefix.  You have asked how to do that, and have done it.  And it should work.

That is, it should work as long as the application's pages themselves don't fight this all

the way.  If you access the application's main page, and it returns a page in which there

is a link with an absolute URL starting with "/xyz/*", (or starting with nothing when it
should be "/xyz/"), then that is /the application's doing/, not the container's.  The
container code, by itself, does not scan every page that the application is returning to
check if there is a URL inside there that should or should not have some prefix, and
change it.

I believe that you should go back to the creators of that application, tell them what you

have done, tell them that it is not working as you expect, and ask /them/ why.