tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject which java ?
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 08:44:33 GMT
Hi.

I am in the process of installing a new system at a customer, Tomcat 6 being part of the
mix.  This is a Suse Enterprise Linux (SEL) system, and the sysadmins at the customer very

strongly favor using the pre-packaged software available with that distribution.
(A position which which I can sympathise, being myself the sysadmin for a bunch of systems).
Anyway, the question is not directly about Tomcat, but about the Java JVM.
Under that version of SEL, the standard Java package is not the Oracle/Sun JVM, but this
one : Java 1.6.0 IBM SR10.1-0.3.1
My question is : are there any kinds of problems/differences to be expected running Tomcat

6 over that JVM, as compared to the comparable Oracle/Sun version which I otherwise use
everywhere else ?  And if yes, in which area could the differences show up ?

The Tomcat applications to be run on that system are minimal, but there are a couple for
which I do not have (and cannot get) the sources.

Or to phrase the question otherwise : are there strong reasons to push for installing
instead an Oracle/Sun 1.6 JVM on that system (outside the SEL package management system
and thus risking to inconvenience the sysadmins) to run Tomcat 6 on it ?

Thanks for any information.