tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Charles Shreve <char...@citinc.biz>
Subject RE: Tomcat from remote subnet
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 12:06:23 GMT
We have fixed the problem.  We found the problem to be related to the encryption of the point
to point VPN.  Thanks for all your help.

Thank You,
Charles Shreve
charles@citinc.biz

Computer Information Technology, Inc.
P.O. Box 607
Cross Junction, VA  22625
(540) 662-1414
http://www.citinc.biz

-----Original Message-----
From: Jose María Zaragoza [mailto:demablogia@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:43 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat from remote subnet

2012/5/9 Charles Shreve <charles@citinc.biz>:
> I enabled logging and was able to find that the log comes back with code 200 which is
my understanding that everything connects properly.  I have found that I am able to open
any size html file, and jpeg files under 31k from the remote subnet off of the tomcat server.
 Anything else from the tomcat server just continues to try and load.  We don't have any
problems loading any of our programs or files from the remote subnet from Window based machines
on the local side.  Is there any kind of a time out period tha the tomcat server expects
a response back from the client before it will send data?  When we try to load the program,
firefox and internet explorer continues to say that it is waiting for data from the tomcat
server but never gets past that point.

I'm lost , sorry

Have you could to interchange HTTP traffic (both directions) between remote side and that
machine , via VPN?
Have you could to interchange HTTP traffic between remote side and any war deployed into that
Tomcat server  , via VPN?
Have you could to interchange HTTP traffic between remote side and any war deployed into anotherTomcat
server on another machine  , via VPN?

Could be a problem with a firewall and the returned HTTP traffic ?

> Thanks.

443 (not advisable) or using commons-daemon.

> Since I'm guessing 3 is no, that renders question 4 moot.
>
> By default the access log valve is commented out in the stock Tomcat 5.5.x and 6.0.x.
It's enabled by default in Tomcat 7.0.x.

> To turn it on in 5.5.x, you need to find server.xml and uncomment the following section.
>
> <!--
> <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.FastCommonAccessLogValve"
>   directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
>   pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
> -->
>
> The entry will look a bit different for Tomcat 6.0.x, but it should be fairly obvious.
>
> Then restart your Tomcat service.
>
> Now you will need to find your log file. I suspect that RedHat places the log files in
/var/log or a subdirectory.

> If this is a stock Tomcat installation, then the log file will be in a subdirectory called
logs of your Tomcat installation.

> . . . . just my two cents.
> /mde/

> Mark,
>
> Tomcat version is 5.5.23
>
> I'm not sure how it was installed, as I was not involved with the setup of tomcat from
the beginning so I can't answer that question.

> If fronted by Apache, I'm not sure, but I do not believe so, because Apache is not running.
>
> Unfortunately, we are using ports 80 and 443.  Again, I got handed this project because
it wasn't working right, so I'm caught in the middle with the whole setup.

> I have looked at the server.xml file and found that the log is commented out, so I will
get that changed which will hopefully point us to our main problem.