tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jose María Zaragoza <demablo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat from remote subnet
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 21:43:28 GMT
2012/5/9 Charles Shreve <charles@citinc.biz>:
> I enabled logging and was able to find that the log comes back with code 200 which is
my understanding that everything connects properly.  I have found that I am able to open
any size html file, and jpeg files under 31k from the remote subnet off of the tomcat server.
 Anything else from the tomcat server just continues to try and load.  We don't have any
problems loading any of our programs or files from the remote subnet from Window based machines
on the local side.  Is there any kind of a time out period tha the tomcat server expects
a response back from the client before it will send data?  When we try to load the program,
firefox and internet explorer continues to say that it is waiting for data from the tomcat
server but never gets past that point.

I'm lost , sorry

Have you could to interchange HTTP traffic (both directions) between
remote side and that machine , via VPN?
Have you could to interchange HTTP traffic between remote side and any
war deployed into that Tomcat server  , via VPN?
Have you could to interchange HTTP traffic between remote side and any
war deployed into anotherTomcat server on another machine  , via VPN?

Could be a problem with a firewall and the returned HTTP traffic ?

> Thanks.

not 4. If fronted by Apache HTTPD, how (mod_proxy_http, mod_proxy_ajp, mod_ajp)

> That being said, I'll make some guesses.
>
> I'm going to guess for 1 and 2 . . . Tomcat 5.5.x installed from an RPM.
>
> For 3, I'm going to guess no, and that you're either running as root for ports 80 and
443 (not advisable) or using commons-daemon.

> Since I'm guessing 3 is no, that renders question 4 moot.
>
> By default the access log valve is commented out in the stock Tomcat 5.5.x and 6.0.x.
It's enabled by default in Tomcat 7.0.x.

> To turn it on in 5.5.x, you need to find server.xml and uncomment the following section.
>
> <!--
> <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.FastCommonAccessLogValve"
>   directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
>   pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
> -->
>
> The entry will look a bit different for Tomcat 6.0.x, but it should be fairly obvious.
>
> Then restart your Tomcat service.
>
> Now you will need to find your log file. I suspect that RedHat places the log files in
/var/log or a subdirectory.

> If this is a stock Tomcat installation, then the log file will be in a subdirectory called
logs of your Tomcat installation.

> . . . . just my two cents.
> /mde/

> Mark,
>
> Tomcat version is 5.5.23
>
> I'm not sure how it was installed, as I was not involved with the setup of tomcat from
the beginning so I can't answer that question.

> If fronted by Apache, I'm not sure, but I do not believe so, because Apache is not running.
>
> Unfortunately, we are using ports 80 and 443.  Again, I got handed this project because
it wasn't working right, so I'm caught in the middle with the whole setup.

> I have looked at the server.xml file and found that the log is commented out, so I will
get that changed which will hopefully point us to our main problem.