tomcat-users mailing list archives

From dgchristen...@comcast.net
Subject Re: Running Swing app under Tomcat 6 on Linux
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 16:44:12 GMT
----- Original Message -----

I appreciate your input.  Hopefully this isn't too far off and annoying other readers. :)

> This sounds a lot like what jhat does (gives you access to underlying
> data in a "browser"). You might consider using the jhat model and
> providing a web-based interface for the same data instead of swing.

jhat displays the raw data but the object browser allows the developer to view the data in
a structured format.  At the risk of using another lousy analogy, the application data is
formated in a sort of high-functioning, hierarchical DOM.  The browser lets the developer
peruse (or, uh, browse) the data in this hierarchical format in real-time.  It's sort of like
the DOM viewer in Firebug (but better! of course).  The first time developers see their data
displayed by the browser there is almost always ooh-ing and ahh-ing.

> If the swing interface makes the user experience that much better
> (e.g. because you have certain widgets available, etc.) then you can
> still use swing... just browsing a web-based interface (say,
> delivering XML, binary data, or even serialized Java objects if you
> really want to do that kind of thing).
>
> > The browser is written using Swing, originally on Windows, and the
> >  users (who are engineers) like it. Now I'm trying to get it
> > working on Linux. A better long-term solution would perhaps be to
> > create a JMX API but that's a lot of changes for something that
> > already works on Windows.
>
> I don't think JMX is appropriate, here.
>
> > As always, engineering time is short and I'm looking for the
> > quickest solution that doesn't confine me in the future. I'm open
> > to any alternative ideas if they are relatively quick to
> > implement.
>
> My suggestion would be to use HTTP as your transport protocol (you
> *are* running on an HTTP-based application server so why not?) and
> either a pure web-based interface or a swing app that actually runs on
> the client and connects "remotely" (even if it's on the same box) to
> the server.
>
> At this point, you may be too far down the road to re-tool, but I
> think you'll gain more flexibility if your users don't have to be
> sitting on localhost in order to browse this data. Plus, you won't
> have to go through these crazy hoops to get it to work.

I agree that some sort of remoting is the best solution.  That just takes time and I was hoping
for a quick solution.  Woe is life. ;)

If you want to continue this further feel free to contact me directly.  I'm always open to
informed opinions.  For the long run I'm looking at http://sites.google.com/site/simpleremoting/home

DG