tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: Accessing Virtual Host through load blancer
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 12:51:24 GMT
Please do not top-post.
Answer below the respective question or comment, not on top of the message.
We don't like to have to scroll up and down to see which answer related to what.

Reka Thirunavukkarasu wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using tomcat 7.0.27 and java 1.6 in ubuntu 11.10.
> Here I'm not using Apache httpd instead the load balancer that we have
> developed which will balance load within tomcat instances.
> Obviously, the issue is with our load balancer since it is rewriting
> the url to one of the actual running tomcat instance though the
> request is to virtual host. Since we plan to use our load balancer, we
> plan to send additional http header with virtual host information to
> tomcat.

Don't /plan/ to do it, /do it/.  You /must/ send a "Host:" header to Tomcat, to allow it
to pick the correct VirtualHost.  Otherwise how would it do it ?
That's the HTTP/1.1 protocol, nothing special with Tomcat.

  In this case, how could i handle it in tomcat level?

Tomcat will handle it fine, if you send a correct request.
A HTTP 1.1 request without a Host: header is incorrect.

> I have defined the virtual hosts in Server.xml. And i have deployed
> web applications inside the virtual host as well. When i was trying to
> invoke those web application through virtual host from load balancer
> only, i got the above problem.

Tomcat is doing what it should do : no "Host:" header in the request, with a value
matching a (Virtual) Host name ? --> handle with the default Host.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message