tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] tomcat slowing down
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 17:38:21 GMT
Pid wrote:
> On 16/05/2012 18:01, André Warnier wrote:
>> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>>
>>> André,

>>> There are libraries that make accepting Ajax requests easier (e.g.
>>> parsing XML, unpacking JSON objects, etc.). So one could call this
>>> "Ajax support" I suppose.
>>>
>> I was looking at "Wicket" in Wikipedia,
>
> That sir, is because you are not an Englishman.  However, I can assure
> you, that we are very familiar with the wicket.  What ho'!

Well exactly.  The only familiarity I previously had with the word "wicket", was as some
bit of wood carefully balanced on top of two other bits of wood, with some white-attired
gentleman armed with another (wider) piece of wood in front, seemingly very anxious not to

let another bloke viciously toss the first bit of wood off the second ones by means of
something looking like a bigger golf ball.  And of course as a term in the mysterious kind

of point-scoring ritual that goes with the same, along with other keywords like "inning",

"not outs" and such.

So, in my mind - before I consulted Wikipedia - I had this picture of some kind of graphic

browser applet, mostly popular in the UK and Indian markets, which one could use to
superimpose the lastest results of such games worldwide upon one's professional workspace,

with real-time updates.
But then, from previous experience watching the game on TV, I still could not quite figure

out how even the real-time updates of 10 simultaneous tournaments for tens of users, could

possibly overwhelm a Tomcat server, given the apparent pace of said game.

So that is why I checked Wikipedia, to see if my understanding was sufficient.
And to my utter relief, I realised it wasn't, and that the word wicket also seemed to
cover some client-server software architectural feature, where indeed data may be
exchanged by means of Ajax calls and such, but the data in question could be related to
faster-moving matters, thus validating my initial suspicions, after a fashion.