tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Multiple tomcat Instances on Same Server and One Apache Instance
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 23:18:06 GMT
Apologies, I probably confused you too. See below.

Vickie Troy-McKoy wrote:

> [...]
goes to instance2.  However, both instances have apps that start with "tsa".  How do I configure
the apache webserver to service the "tsa" app for both tomcat instances?
worker must be the only one in the list.  You then tell the balancer to balance the two other
workers.
>>> Then the two individual apps won't work, as they're not present on both servers.
>> Oh. I did not read the OP's requirements carefully enough.  Apologies, your instructions

>> were correct for the OP.
>
> Thank you all for your suggestions.  I tried configuring a load balancer worker; however,
 I'm getting HTTP 500 messages--Internal Server Error.  I reviewed the reference page; however,
apparently, I'm missing something.  Also in the mod_jk.log, there's an error stating:   "Could
not find worker with name 'instance2' in uri map post processing".  Any ideas?  Thank you...

> On the apache server in httpd.conf, I changed the JKMount statements because I wanted
to access all content.

>  Listen 80
>  .
>  .
>  .
>  LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so
>
>  #
>  JkWorkersFile conf/workers.properties
>  JkMount /* instance1
>  JkMount /* instance2

That is probably not what you want (and the one contradicts the other).
You should probably have instead :

# forward "/abc*" requests to Tomcat "instance1" only
JkMount /abc instance1
JkMount /abc* instance1

# forward "/xyz*" requests to Tomcat "instance2" only
JkMount /xyz instance2
JkMount /xyz* instance2

# forward "/tsa*" requests to either Tomcat, as selected by the balancer worker
JkMount /tsa balance1
JkMount /tsa* balance1

Note: if you really want to forward everything to Tomcat, and it doesn't matter which
Tomcat, and you want to let the balancer decide when to forward any request to either
Tomcat-1 or Tomcat-2, then just use the single line :
JkMount /* balance1

>  In workers.properties, added the load balancer information; it reflects the following:

You seem to be missing :

workers.list=instance1,instance2,balance1

(as per Pid's earlier instructions, not as per my erroneous comment)

>  worker.balance1.type=lb
>  worker.balance1.balance_workers=instance1, instance2  <-- mod_jk may not like the
space after comma
>  #
>  worker.instance1.port=8009
>  worker.instance1.host=server.xxxx.com
>  worker.instance1.type=ajp13
>
>  #
>  worker.instance2.port=7009
>  worker.instance2.host=server.xxxx.com
>  worker.instance2.type=ajp13
>

> On the tomcat server (which is the same server), I added the jvmRoute setting in server.xml.
 For instance one, I added: