tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Slow downloads through mod_jk on Windows XP
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 16:05:26 GMT
On 05/11/2012 04:51 AM, Mladen Turk wrote:

> I was following this tread and was hoping that someone will say:
> "Do not use workstation grade software for server applications"
> but no. XP (Win7 falls in the same category) has good network stack
> but focused on client applications.
> There is a good reason why MS charges extra $$ for server versions
> since they make sure your server application don't perform well on
> workstation software.

The problem is, we've seen the behaviour reported sporadically from
customers on windows 2003 server.  The only case I've been able to find
to reproduce it was this XP system.

>> I'm not sure what to make of the customer reports of the slow downs
>> but at this point, I'm going to have to ask them to use something
>> like ab.exe to do the downloads instead of Internet Explorer (most of
>> them use IE to do it). Maybe there's some stupidity
>> with IE.
>>

> IE tries to open several concurrent connection at once (RFC says that
> number is max 3)
> I'm sure you can simulate that with 'ab -c 10 -k -n 10000 ...'

I'm not sure how this would be relevant though as the behavior is
reproducible with a single connection to download a large file (no
concurrenct connections to this site or any other site.

> There is nothing wrong with tomcat, mod_jk or httpd.
> It's just your use case.

I'm not convinced that there isn't something odd going on but for now
I'll ignore it.  I may have a stupid use case, but we have had reports
out in the field of what appear to be perfectly sane use cases that
don't perform.  i just can't reproduce them.